On 01/09/2014 10:59:45 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
Am 09.01.2014 09:16, schrieb Helmut Jarausch:

> You can use sys-apps/memtester without physical access to the machine.
> I had cases where memtester found errors which memtest86 didn't.
> One of these cases was a machine which probably had a cache coherence
> problem
> since the error showed up only when more than one process ran memtester.
> Replacing the CPU but not the memory fixed that problem.

Thanks for the pointer ... how to use it to test the whole RAM? Just
give it a value bigger than the available RAM or ... ? I just try it
with a slightly lower value for now and will re-read the manpage.

You can't test all of memory, especially not low memory.
But if you had a problem with some chip mapped to low memory
I doubt Linux would even boot.
Furthermore, memtester locks pages, i.e. it disables paging.
So the machine might not be very responsive during the tests.