Sascha Lucas wrote:
I've also had problems with --usepkg. When it gives me problems, as a workaround, I force emerge to do what I want with emerge --usepkgonly --nodeps --oneshot for each and every binpkg that I want merged. If I think that this may have broken something then afterwards I use "revdep-rebuild -p" to check linking integrity.

thats nearly the same like I do: emerge --usepkg --oneshot binpkgs.

So I assume, I'm not alone with this problem (--newuse & --usepkg & -uD). The question is, is there a missunderstanding or a bug?

Sascha.

There are a few open bugs related to binpkg handling.  Attached is a script
that prints out the use flags of a binpkg (similar to emerge -pv output).  I
you believe that you have discovered an unreported bug, then please file a new
bug at bugs.gentoo.org.

Zac
#!/usr/bin/python

import sys
if len(sys.argv)!=2:
	print "usage: %s <tbz2 file>" % sys.argv[0]
	sys.exit(1)

sys.path = ["/usr/lib/portage/pym"]+sys.path
import xpak
mytbz2=xpak.tbz2(sys.argv[1])
myuse=mytbz2.getelements("USE")
myiuse=mytbz2.getelements("IUSE")