On Wednesday 22 Jan 2014 12:52:25 gottl...@nyu.edu wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21 2014, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> >> Thank you canek (and walt, james, and eroen) but I didn't make clear the
> >> level of my ignorance.  I have never used a webcam, but I recently
> >> became a grandfather so figured I should learn.  I must need a driver
> >> for the camera.  According to lsusb I have
> >>
> >> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0c45:646b Microdia
> >> (the 400 line verbose output is at the end of this msg).
> >>
> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> But, as I mentioned, I am a complete novice with webcams and wonder if I
> >> am way off base here.  Is the above the right path to follow?
> >
> > [Humongous snip]
> >
> > Ah, you need first the drivers then. Don't bother with out-of-tree
> > drivers. Try (directly in your kernel) USB_VIDEO_CLASS (a.k.a. UVC),
> > CONFIG_USB_GSPCA, and if that doesn't work enable all of
> > CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_*. Mine works only with CONFIG_USB_GSPCA.
> >
> > After loading the modules, or booting with the new kernel, see if you
> > have /dev/v4l (it's a dir). Then any modern software (e.g., Cheese or
> > google-talkplugin) will autodetect the camera.
> >
> > Regards.
>
> Sounds like a plan.
> thanks,
> allan

I have a similar camera (from lsusb):

  idVendor           0x0c45 Microdia
  idProduct          0x640e
  bcdDevice           95.06
  iManufacturer           2 M092S-J00-9C14-SC1NT
  iProduct                1 Laptop_Integrated_Webcam_2M

These are modules enabled in the kernel:

$ egrep -i GSPCA /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA=m
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_BENQ is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_CONEX is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_CPIA1 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_ETOMS is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_FINEPIX is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_JEILINJ is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_JL2005BCD is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_KINECT is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_KONICA is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_MARS is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_MR97310A is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_NW80X is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_OV519 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_OV534 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_OV534_9 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_PAC207 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_PAC7302 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_PAC7311 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SE401 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SN9C2028 is not set
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SN9C20X=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SONIXB=m
CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SONIXJ=m
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA500 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA501 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA505 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA506 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA508 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA561 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA1528 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SQ905 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SQ905C is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SQ930X is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_STK014 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_STV0680 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SUNPLUS is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_T613 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_TOPRO is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_TV8532 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_VC032X is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_VICAM is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_XIRLINK_CIT is not set
# CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_ZC3XX is not set

I can't recall how I arrived at these, but probably Google helped me at the
time.

--
Regards,
Mick