On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 10:12:52AM +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> I think you guys missed the point. OP mentioned "Running Process"
>
> Not sure what disown does since there's no man pages on it. (as
> suggested by Matthew Cline)

And Matthew also said it was a Bash bulletin, so you should man bash
instead of man disown.

Let me quote some juicy bits for the list:

       The shell exits by default upon receipt of a SIGHUP.   Before  exiting,
       an  interactive  shell  resends  the  SIGHUP  to  all  jobs, running or
       stopped.  Stopped jobs are sent SIGCONT to ensure that they receive the
       SIGHUP.   To  prevent the shell from sending the signal to a particular
       job, it should be removed from the jobs table with the  disown  builtin
       (see  SHELL  BUILTIN  COMMANDS  below)  or marked to not receive SIGHUP
       using disown -h.

       disown [-ar] [-h] [jobspec ...]
              Without options, each jobspec  is  removed  from  the  table  of
              active  jobs.   If  the  -h option is given, each jobspec is not
              removed from the table, but is marked so that SIGHUP is not sent
              to  the  job  if  the shell receives a SIGHUP.  If no jobspec is
              present, and neither the -a nor the -r option is  supplied,  the
              current  job  is used.  If no jobspec is supplied, the -a option
              means to remove or mark all jobs; the -r option without  a  job-
              spec  argument  restricts operation to running jobs.  The return
              value is 0 unless a jobspec does not specify a valid job.

--
English lessons for programmers #28:
    "Fewer" if of type int; where as "less" is of type double.