On 02/03/14 18:52, Mike Gilbert wrote:
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Joseph <syscon...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a text file.  How do I search and replace "carriage return"?

Do you mean carriage return (decimal 13) or line feed (decimal 10)?

The former is pretty simple:

sed -e 's:\r: :g' foo.txt

OK here is the text output (last few lines) of the command: cat 15.txt | sed
's/\r$//' | od -c

0017460   o   w       t   h   e       m   a   j   o   r       g   r   o
0017500   u   p   i   n   g   s       o   f  \n   d   i   n   o   s   a
0017520 u r s . \n L e t ' s m o v e 0017540 o n f r o m d i n o s a u r
0017560       s   k   e   l   e   t   o   n   s       t   o  \n   o   u
0017600   t   w   a   r   d       a   p   p   e   a   r   a   n   c   e
0017620   s   .  \n

the actual text:
ow the major groupings of
dinosaurs.
Let's move on from dinosaur skeletons to
outward appearances.

so it seems to me the carriage return is represented by: " \n"

I've tried sed -e 's:\n: :g' 15.txt

makes no difference. How to replace the "\n" with space.

--
Joseph