On 05/02/2014 19:03, Joseph wrote:
> On 02/05/14 18:35, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> On 05/02/2014 18:32, Joseph wrote:
>>> Which program is responsible for mounting USB stick on XFCE4?
>>>
>>> After enable "systemd" flag in make.conf USE=
>>> the following packages were rebuild:
>>> sys-apps/busybox
>>> sys-apps/dbus
>>> sys-auth/pambase
>>> sys-auth/polkit
>>> sys-fs/udisks
>>> sys-power/upower
>>> gnome-base/gvfs
>>>
>>> But now I have a BIG problem, I can not mount USB stick at all as user
>>> (only as root).
>>> Eject doesn't work either.
>>>

>> fast reply off the top of the head of someone who has never used systemd:
>>

>> Systemd and udev are tightly interwoven. Did you restart udev?
>>
>> --
>> Alan McKinnon
>> alan.mckin...@gmail.com
>
> Yes, I restarted the system. I don't have "udev" installed; systemd is
> replacing udev isn't it?
> Before installing systemd I had to unmerge udev.

Here's how I understand how things work:

There's a body of code called "udev" which when runs performs a service
called "udev".

There's also a body of code called "systemd" which when it runs is PID 1.

And there's a project called "systemd" which does all manner of PID 1
things and controls early startup amongst other things. There used to be
a project called udev which has been folded into the systemd project.

Both bodies of code are these days found in a tarball called "systemd"
from the systemd project which is why you download systemd sources when
installing the Gentoo udev package.

However, systemd doesn't just magically do what udev does out of thin
air. udev is still a functional running service and must be enabled in
systemd for it to run.

Confused yet? English is a hugely overloaded language.

I'm thinking you need systemd with the udev USE flag set.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com