On 06/02/2014 18:08, James wrote:
>> [working theory: the kernel throws permission denied errors when it's
>> > asked in weird ways to load wrong versioned modules. Pure speculation,
>> > I've never done this at all and don't know what the error is]
> The permission are all consistent now (/lib/modules/*). I'm not sure how
> they got wacked, as I have not done anything with modules yet. Nore
> anything messing with those perms......
>
> Obviously, from the strings command, the kernel(s) need fixing up a bit.
> I only got them to a point, to get the openbox stuff setup. The audio
> and usb automounting are all that is left to fix.... The points is the
> kernels should be good enough to work with? I suspect grub2, as this
> is my first forray into a bootable system with grub2........
>

> What is stumping me is why  all three kernels boot, but the modules
> only point to 3.10.25, even when boot either the second
> (kernel-3.13.0-gentoo-r1) kernel or the third (config-3.13.1-gentoo)
> kernel.
>
> I'm going to work on this and scratch a bit..... So any other suggestions
> are welcome, although it'll be a few days until I post back. Got
> any strings options/scripts to only filter out the english readable
> parts of mostly binary files?   Manual parsing is a drag......
>
> What/where could the system be corrupted to only attempt to use those
> modules from 3.10.25?

Your kernels look fine actually. All kernel images have that large
collection of attention-grabbing strings, they seem to be regular
compiled in error messages. And the version numbers are fine.

I've just built 3.13.1-gentoo here and my perms come out right, so it's
not a bug that e.g. snuck into that one version's Makefile. And I know
of no way for a bootloader to influence what a kernel image thinks it's
version is or how to get to it's modules (it would be a huge attack
vector if a bootloader could do that)

I think I'm all out of ideas now, you might have to consult with some
kernel guys. Per my understanding, what you describe cannot happen, so
it's an odd one indeed.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com