On 18 February 2014 06:03:02 CET, Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:
>Hello list!
>
>I'm planning to replace an Active Directory server currently
>functioning
>*only* as an LDAP server, with a dedicated Linux-based LDAP server.
>
>Now, the function of the LDAP server is at the moment:
>* Provide the settings database for Axigen email server
>* Provide group membership for BlueCoat proxy (who allowed to access
>what)
>* Provide group membership for FreeRADIUS
>* Provide group membership for Fortinet VPN
>
>The day-to-day management will be handled be another division, and I'm
>quite sure that they prefer a GUI, so the solution really should have a
>GUI
>support (either Windows-based 'client' or web-based admin console).
>
>Apparently, there are now many implementations of LDAP in the *nix
>world,
>such as OpenLDAP, OpenDS, ApacheDS, and 389DS.
>
>Have any of you experiences with them? Which one do you think is the
>most
>mature and supported? And, quite importantly, which one has a GUI
>front-end?
>
>Rgds,
>--

Openldap has a webbased gui: phpldapadmin.

Both are in the tree.

I use this myself for all the user accounts. Allowing me to only maintain a
single repository for all the services and desktops.

Not been able to get ms windows to authenticate against it though. But that
requires further tools to be properly configured. (Think samba as a DC)

--
Joost