On Thursday 20 Feb 2014 01:22:24 eroen wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:39:51 -0800, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just spotted that phrase in the sourceforge newsletter:
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/
> >
> > and it seems to me like an oxymoron.  If that phrase makes
> > logical sense then my definitions of 'BIOS' and 'EFI' need
> > the latest updates :)
> >
> > Until now I thought that EFI is a recent replacement for
> > "BIOS" based machines.
> >
> > Can anyone clarify the linguistics involved here?
>
> The scope of UEFI is somewhat greater than that of traditional BIOSes.
> Both do various hardware initialization and such, but UEFIs (can) have
> a number of additional features, including more flexibility in what it
> can launch from where (eg. network booting without iPXE) and even an
> interactive shell. See [1] for a less organized list of features.
>
> I'm unfamiliar with this project in specific, but I'm going by the line
>
>     This is EFI-based bootloader for BIOS-based computers created as a
>     replacement to EDK2/Duet bootloader http://www.tianocore.org.
>
> I have a box running Duet, which is an UEFI implementation that can be
> launched by (eg.) the extlinux boot loader on a legacy BIOS system.
> Once Duet is launched, the system is mostly indistinguishable from a
> native UEFI system that has booted into it's UEFI firmware.
>
> From here, Duet can let the user go through menus to select an EFI
> executable to launch (a EFI-stub enabled kernel or some sort of boot
> loader), or it can automatically launch something based on existing
> configuration.
>
> 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFI#Features

I guess this can be seen as a BIOS chainloaded UEFI?

BTW, has anyone tried hackintosh in a VM?  I am thinking of using AppleMac's
Mail program, when I can no longer run the legacy kmail application.  A bit
drastic to have to load a whole VM just for mail, but I can't find another
client that suits.

--
Regards,
Mick