On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 8:11 PM, eroen <er...@falcon.eroen.eu> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 19:47:55 -0600, Canek Peláez Valdés
> <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 7:31 PM, eroen <er...@falcon.eroen.eu> wrote:

>> > On a system running ~amd64 with eudev/openrc:
>> >
>> > eroen@falcon ~ $ emerge -pv media-sound/banshee
>> > =gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-2.32.1-r2
>> >
>> [ snip emerge output ]
>> >
>> > For ease of upgrades, you might want to add
>> >     >=gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3
>> > in /etc/portage/package.mask rather than specifying it with a
>> > specific version on the command line.
>>
>> That solution is a dead end. GNOME 2 is being removed from the
>> tree[1].
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> [1] http://blogs.gentoo.org/eva/2014/02/16/the-future-of-gnome-2/
>
> You probably mean "temporary". The expression "dead end" would imply it
> makes future migration more difficult in some way.

Call it temporary if you want to. The point is that
gnome-settings-daemon 2.x has been unmaintained for years now.

> One would hope (mostly for their image's sake) the gnome team does
> not remove gnome-settings-daemon-2 until at least one of
> cinnamon-settings-daemon and mate-settings-daemon are included in
> gentoo proper.

Nobody cares about any team "image", I suppose. They are all
volunteers. If you want cinnamon-sd or mate-sd to get into the tree,
help out. Don't assume someone is going to do it for you.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México