On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 14:30:29 +0100, Fox <halfsocial...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to install an ebuild that used EAPI=4-python getting the
> error:
>
> API of python.eclass in EAPI="4-python" not established
>
> I googled the problem but there is not much to read (or at least I
> could not find much) and what is there is old. So I wonder what is
> the problem with this and if there is a way to use it as there are
> many ebiulds (maybe only in overlays, I am not sure) that use it.
>
> Quim

Afaik the *-python eapis are almost exclusively used by Arfrever's
Progress overlay (and, by extension, funtoo). The error message you
show seems to be from python.eclass in the main gentoo tree, which does
not take un-official eapis into account. The code in question for
reference (lines 30-32):

    if ! has "${EAPI:-0}" 0 1 2 3 4 5; then
        die "API of python.eclass in EAPI=\"${EAPI}\" not established"
    fi

You might be able to use the ebuild stand-alone by also copying the
relevant eclasses from whereever you got the ebuild into your local
overlay (where I presume you put the ebuild?). However, from previous
experience with the Progress overlay, you might want to use the entire
overlay though layman in stead. Due to unfortunately incompatible
python-implementation dependencies with gentoo proper it's rather an
all-or-nothing deal.

--
eroen