On Wed, 26 February 2014, at 8:29 pm, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> …
> * Netscape (under AOL) aimed at becoming a pseudo-OS on top of Windows.
>  We know how that turned out.

You appear to be underestimating it - whilst the AOL suite was hated by many of
those "forced to use it" (I guess in the late 90's or early 00's), it is / was
so massively popular with grannies that it is still available today.

Dial-up division is still AOL's most profitable division, earning them $500m
per year,[1] and I would attribute the popularity of the AOL desktop suite to
this.

I've seen this profitability attributed to "misinformed customers" who "don't
know they no-longer need AOL now they have DSL", but having been told by a
number of people that all they want out of their computer is their AOL, I find
it had to agree with that characterisation.

AOL's desktop suite has certainly not been a failure for the company.

Stroller.

[1] http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/02/18/aol-dial-up-profits/