[snip]
> It does generate iptable rules, but they are customized for
> shorewall's
> purposes.  For example, my shorewall setup builds the
> following iptables
> rules:
>
> # Generated by iptables-save v1.3.2 on Thu Sep  8 12:32:48 2005
> *nat
> :PREROUTING ACCEPT [34942:3100331]
> :POSTROUTING ACCEPT [106864:7597940]
> :OUTPUT ACCEPT [106858:7597722]
> :net_dnat - [0:0]
> :w1ad_masq - [0:0]
> -A PREROUTING -i w1ad -j net_dnat
> -A POSTROUTING -o w1ad -j w1ad_masq
> -A net_dnat -p udp -m multiport --dports

What is the "[34942:3100331]" and "[106864:7597940]" references above?

> These are all valid rules and are constructed by shorewall.
> Would they be
> the same if I hand-coded them?  Absolutely not.  I wouldn't
> have so many
> custom chains and would probably reorder the rules to give
> priorities to
> specific services.
>
> And, I would argue that whilst these rules are valid and do
> perform the
> firewall chores that I want/need, the format of the rules
> would leave a lot
> to be desired to try to maintain manually via the command line.

If I understand this right:  Shorewall, firehol, fwbuilder, etc.,
'just-works', but it kludges the iptables?  Some of these 'helpers' may
also require you to learn some additional scripting format other than
the conventional iptables.  I guess that's similar to using some HTML
WYSIWYG instead of hand coding it yourself.
--
Regards,
Mick