On 3/8/2014 10:12 AM, Todd Goodman <t...@bonedaddy.net> wrote:
* Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> [140308 09:46]:
If I do an emerge -pvuDN world, it tells me I only need to update (among
a few other things) ONE version of dev-lang/python-exec: (2.0.1 to -r1).

I then tried to selectively update just the kernel, and it complains
about python-exec-2.0.1 being masked, so I add that to the emerge command:

emerge -pvuDN dev-lang/python-exec gentoo-sources

This results in no blockers, BUT, NOW it wants to update TWO versions of
python-exec: dev-lang/python-exec 2.0.1 AND dev-lang/python-exec-0.3.1
(to -r1).

First question is, why does a plain emerge -pvuDN world NOT want to
update both of these?

Second questions is, do I even NEED both of these? Or can (or more
importantly, SHOULD) I just emerge -C dev-lang/python-exec-0.3.1?

dev-lang/python-exec is slotted (I have slot 0 and 2 on my system.)

I assume when you do the emerge -pvuDN world it only tells you about
slot 2 because there's only a dependency on slot 2.  When you ask it to
emerge dev-lang/python-exec it tries to emerge for all slots (I'm not
sure, someone please correct me if that's not what's happening.)

But I had a problem where something using python-exec needed to be
rebuilt.  Run an emerge -pvutDN world (add the -t option to see the tree
of dependencies) and look for what wants the masked python-exec.  Then
rebuild that manually.

Thanks... so, since it is slotted, I guess my question about needing them both is, yes, I need them both (ie, don't emerge -C the older 0.3.1 version)...