When you say "system hangs", you don't say if it's hanging for minutes, hours, whatever. But since it's running against a config file in /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.6/work/build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3, I'd be willing to bet that it will take a great deal of time to complete.

Emerge (not the system) just hangs. I didn't wait time enough...I'm
assuming this has to do with the "doc" USE variable. Actually, I
upgraded doxygen (which compiled with no optimizations) and gcc now
compiles. Still, couldn't compile mozilla, even with "-doc". Something is still very much wrong.

Good, got by that issue, but in order to help with the mozilla problem we'll need more info...