On Sunday, March 23, 2014 05:47:53 PM Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
> I'm not meaning to hijack this thread, but isn't KVM a better option? The
> difference between Xen and KVM is tiny I think, no?

Yes and no:

If you simpy look at the basics, like running virtual machines, then KVM is a
valid option.

But, if you are running VMs to test stuff, you want to take valid snapshots of
the current status.
That means disk AND memory.

I have not been able to find any information on how to make a snapshot of the
memory used by a VM running under KVM. If there is a method, please point me
in the right direction.

With Xen, it's really easy to do:
# xl  save   <Domain> <FileWhereMemoryIsSaved>
-- make a snapshot of the disk(s),
--       either by copying the file or using LVM snapshots
# xl restore <FileWhereMemoryIsSaved>

Or using any of the front-ends. XCP has it all built-in and allows usage of
the Citrix client tool.

--
Joost