Howdy,

So I have these entries in my /etc/default/grub file:

GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Gentoo"
GRUB_DEFAULT=kernel-3.13.6-gentoo
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=3
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768

I ran 'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg'
after the last ebuild of 3.13.6-gentoo

/boot shows:
kernel-3.13.0-gentoo
kernel-3.13.0-gentoo-r1
kernel-3.13.1-gentoo
kernel-3.13.6-gentoo
kernel-3.13.6B-gentoo
kernel-3.13.7-gentoo

Obviously, I like to kept kernel experiments around a while....

So when I get the Grub2 (ascii) boot menu and just select the
default, it boots kernel-3.13.7-gentoo, despite
'kernel-3.13.6-gentoo' being set in as the default for Grub2?

Comment thoughts and suggestions, including deeper reading on grub2
is most welcome, particulary Grub2 examples.

Also, is there a nice 'gui' boot-menu for grub2 ?

It seems to take several repeated attemps for grub2 to correctly
use the kernel I desire, despite what syntax/order I use.
If I boot a kernel that is not the default, it takes about 2 minutes,
then another 2 minutes of blank screen then it boot fairly quickly.
The mobo is a GA-99FXA-UD3 and this might not have the bios/uefi/???
optimally configured? (first gigabyte moble).

The is what I have read on grub2 (man pages, gentoo wiki) so additional
reading, with some useful examples would also be much appreciated.