I use msmtp for outgoing mail, and plan to continue to do so.

However, I need to temporarily set up an SMTP server to accept
incoming mail from "the Internet" for local users.  It is not going to
handle sending of email, and I need it _not_ to install something as
/usr/bin/sendmail (that's already taken by msmtp).  It doesn't need to
handle queueing, relaying, or anything other than acting as an SMTP
server and delivering mail locally to mbox or maildir destinations.

What's the easiest/simplest MTA to set up for that?

sendmail? (No... just no.)

qmail? (Seems a bit overly complex for my use case).

postfix?

exim?

It's been a long time since I've used either postfix or exim, but I
don't remember either of them being too complex to configure.

I'm guessing that Portgage is going to object to installing both msmtp
and postfix/exim, so I'll probably have to build the rx-only MTA from
sources and install it in a non-standard location?

Maybe I should just write a simple SMTP server in Python. [That's
actually a lot easier than it sounds.  Python's standard library has
an smtpd class that's pretty simple to use.]

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Remember, in 2039,
                                  at               MOUSSE & PASTA will