Philip Webb <purslow <at> ca.inter.net> writes:

> I ran into a problem trying to print yesterday -- solved for now -- ,
> but would like to simplify things for the next occasion.
> What appears to have happened is that when I updated Hplip + Cups,
> one of them created a new printer, so that the list now appears as :

In my experiences with Cups over the years, it's flaky setup issues are
always different. So what I do is backup all of the config files in
/etc/cups. After an upgrade, you may have to set up printers again.
What I find, after diffing old config file with new ones, is each
new version of cups screws up one or more of the config files, or forgets
to keep options you have set or whatever you have not seen before as a cups
config problem. The cups team is very diligent at creating new issues, while
addressing old ones, imho. So I just manually look at the old config
files, fix/enhance what I want and restart cupsd.

Cups hacking is different every time, imho. I often just copy printer
config files from /etc/cups to other machines and manually edit therein.
Easy, quick and mostly fool_proof. Occasionally there is actually something
new in cups, but it has mostly been the external (web-gui) interfaces
and not the underlying options; mostly. A working config file, is usually
good for years and years; mostly.

hth,
James