> Am 18.04.2014 22:12, schrieb Andrew Savchenko:
> > On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 22:11:05 -0400 Walter Dnes wrote:
> >>   I'm (re)installing Gentoo on an older AMD notebook.  The output
> >> from "less /proc/cpuinfo" includes...
> >>
> >> processor       : 1
> >> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> >> cpu family      : 16
> >> model           : 6
> >> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor
> >> stepping        : 3
> >> microcode       : 0x10000b6
> >> cpu MHz         : 2100.000
> >> cache size      : 512 KB
> >> physical id     : 0
> >> siblings        : 2
> >> core id         : 1
> >> cpu cores       : 2
> >> apicid          : 1
> >> initial apicid  : 1
> >> fpu             : yes
> >> fpu_exception   : yes
> >> cpuid level     : 5
> >> wp              : yes
> >> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep
> >> mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall
> >> nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc
> >> rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt
> >> lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a 3dnowprefetch
> >> osvw ibs skinit wdt nodeid_msr hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock
> >> nrip_save bogomips        : 4189.59 TLB size        : 1024 4K
> >> pages
> >>
> >>   Now for the questions
> >>
> >> * In "make menuconfig", I'm not sure which of 2 CPU options to
> >> select in Processor type and features  --->
> >>     Processor family (*****************)  --->
> >>
> >> ( ) Athlon/Duron/K7
> >> ( ) Opteron/Athlon64/Hammer/K8
> > I'd like to recommend you this kernel gcc patch which enables
> > -march=native support for kernel compilation:
> > https://github.com/graysky2/kernel_gcc_patch
> >
> > Just select native and you will get both best performance and one
> > less headache.
>
> or it creates code that is much slower or breaks in subtle and hard to
> catch ways.
>
> The kernel devs are very astute when it comes to gcc options - I
> wouldn't screw around with them. If an app is crashy, disturbing but not
> a big problem. If the kernel decides to write the wrong stuff all over a
> partition boundary you are screwed.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Andrew Savchenko

Hi Volker Armin Hemmann,
Have you encountered -march=native related bugs? I haven't had any
problems on mainstream amd/intel cpus. With regards to the kernel I
would expect more problems from an aggressive -O flag than that of
-march since -march just indicates the instruction set the compiler can
use. That being said if the goal is stability I wouldn't be applying
unofficial patches.

Regards,
Dragostin Yanev