140429 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 01:17:08 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
>> Yes, I can do 'emerge -C nano', but that is brute force & deprecated.
> Deprecated? Really? I must have missed that.

  root:565 ~> emerge -C nano
   * This action can remove important packages! In order to be safer, use
   * `emerge -pv --depclean <atom>` to check for reverse dependencies before
   * removing packages.
   !!! 'app-editors/nano' (virtual/editor) is part of your system profile.
   !!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.
   >>> Waiting 10 seconds before starting...
   >>> (Control-C to abort)...
   Press Ctrl-C to Stop in: 10 9^C
   Exiting on signal 2
  root:566 ~> emerge -pv --depclean nano
   Calculating dependencies... done!
   app-editors/nano-2.3.2 pulled in by:
    virtual/editor-0 requires app-editors/nano

I'ld say that means 'deprecated' as much as anything does,
ie "in order to be safer" do it in a different but recommended way.

> Brute force, maybe, but it is the answer.
>> The ebuild has a long list of possible editors,
>> incl Vim Ed Nano, but nothing singling out Nano,
> Except that nano is first in the list and portage takes
> the first available dependency as satisfying the virtual.

Doesn't Portage check whether any of the others are installed ?!

> Unmerge nano and portage will look at the rest of the list,
> be satisfied with vim and not try to re-emerge nano.

The output above mentions "your system profile".
My  @system  contains  virtual/editor , but not  app-editors/nano .

I'ld call this a bug in Portage.
Any other comments before I "damage my system" (output above) ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca