On Saturday 10 May 2014 10:33:19 William Kenworthy wrote:
> Note that as I said in my original
> email, "dirvish" really hammers a file system and only reiserfs seems to
> withstand it though I have gotten errors with it in the past.  Ive tried
> ext4 (takes only a couple of backup sessions and its unrecoverable,
> btrfs an occasional error with two complete losses of the
> partition/filesystem since Christmas and reiserfs gets rare errors.

I moved away from reisefs to ext4 because I was getting some random lockups
when I/O was high.  While on reiserfs I also had a couple of corrupt mysql
files and all around poor performance.  Now, this was on a machine with a
deficient PSU (I replaced a couple of capacitors since then and it is now
working properly) so I don't want to blame the filesystem because of this
hardware problem.  In any case, under these impaired conditions ext4 was a
much better performing filesystem than reiserfs.  No lock ups, significantly
faster and no corruption was observed in normal operation - I didn't try to
hammer it.

So I read your paragraph above with surprise, because in my experience the
opposite was true.  At the time I thought that reiserfs was perhaps suffering
from bitrot, because these symptoms had gotten worse over time.  This is on an
installation running since 2005.  Not sure what to conclude from these
anecdotal observations ...  :-/

--
Regards,
Mick