On 11/05/14 15:41, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
I've switched from GRUB 1 to GRUB 2 and am booting in EFI mode. Now when
I boot Gentoo, I get no console. The screen is just stuck in the GRUB
screen until X11 starts. I see no kernel messages. When I press
Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a console, I only get a blank screen.

I tried setting:

   GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text

in /etc/default/grub, but that doesn't do anything.

Halp! I need my consoles back!

OK, figured it out. It's not possible to get a VGA text mode console with EFI. The reason is that EFI was designed by morons. The only way to get a console is to use a graphics mode framebuffer. But then my graphics driver complains:

NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console
NVRM: on the primary VGA device. The NVIDIA Linux graphics driver
NVRM: requires the use of a text-mode VGA console. Use of other console
NVRM: drivers including, but not limited to, vesafb, may result in
NVRM: corruption and stability problems, and is not supported.

What a bunch of idiots.