On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 5:15 AM,  <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 2:22 AM,  <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
>> > Hi.  I have been trying to get systemd to boot, but I have run into
>> > several problems and need some help.  I am using everything but /boot as
>> > lvm's, with a separate user partition.  I had to copy systemd to /sbin
>> > because the initrd looks for the realinit too soon, but that is maybe
>> > another matter.
>>
>> Moving systemd to /sbin sounds like it's not going to work. Run
>> readelf -d /usr/lib/systemd/systemd; all the NEEDED libraries on
>> /usr/lib should be available to the binary at the time it's being
>> executed.
>
> How can I do this, genkernel looks for its init before it mounts /usr
> and genkernel-next will not mount the separate /usr at all.  My latest
> initrd is from the very latest genkernel.

With genkernel, I don't know; I never used it. On the other hand,
dracut is designed to work with systemd; if you use the systemd USE
flag and the systemd module, it even uses systemd *inside* the
initramfs.

> But how to get a complete history of systemd actions in the order that
> they are done, I thought the confirm_spawn would do this for me -- at
> least for my initial debugging.

The problem obviously is not in systemd, but in the integration of
genkernel+systemd. I repeat, I never used genkernel, so I don't know
what you can do.

That being said, "get a complete history of systemd actions in the
order that they are done" will not tell you much: systemd uses heavy
parallelization, so in some runs the order in which actions are
performed will be different from others.

The problem is that if systemd is installed into /usr/lib (which is
Gentoo's case), then /usr should be mounted before systemd starts.
That's responsibility of the initramfs, not of systemd, and the
solution lies in the initramfs, not in systemd.

My only possible recommendation would be for you to try dracut.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias