Jc García <jyo.gar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > How can I do this, genkernel looks for its init before it mounts /usr
> > and genkernel-next will not mount the separate /usr at all.  My latest
> > initrd is from the very latest genkernel.
> >
> > But how to get a complete history of systemd actions in the order that
> > they are done, I thought the confirm_spawn would do this for me -- at
> > least for my initial debugging.
> >

> I have had this trouble too, and a very similar setup than you, and
> after a few workarounds I got to boot with a genkernel and a dracut
> generated initramfs, so it can be done both ways, but i would
> recommend dracut, since is more straight forward in practice, and you
> can setup once and then just generate initramfs that surely will work.
> The most important part is your kernel boot comand line, giving
> instructions so your system specific lvm volumes (root, usr and var if
> separated). mine looks like this
> "rd.lvm rd.lvm.vg=gentoovg rd.lvm.lv=gentoovg/root
> rd.lvm.lv=gentoovg/usr root=/dev/mapper/gentoovg-root
> ccinit=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd quiet"
> A little too long in my opinion, but works, and the rd.lvm.lv parts
> result redundant if rd.lvm.vg is already set, i think, it worked when
> I tested, but I kept the redundancy just in case.
> this can be setup in sevaral ways, directly when compiling the kernel,
> using dracut the config file, or the bootloader, I used dracut since I
> wanted to centralize the boot process configuration as much as
> possible.
> Also be sure that the lvm binaries are included in the initramfs, if
> you will be using dracut you would need to add to /etc/dracut.conf:
>
> use_fstab="yes"
> host_cmdline="yes"
> kernel_cmdline="your_cmd_line"

My kernel command line is like this:
init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/mapper/linux--files-64--root
udev video=uvesafb:1280x1024 speakup.synth=spkout vmalloc=256M dolvm
rootfstype=ext4 real_init=/sbin/systemd systemd.confirm_spawn=yes

I thought the dolvm would take care of all lvm related stuff, I don't
understand the rd.lvm parts at all, I have never seen such.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         cov...@ccs.covici.com