Hi,

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:09:29 +0200
Frank Schafer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> When I returned home from work I found in the logs, that ``emerge
> --emptytree system'' failed at package 28 of 186
>
> python-fcksum-1.7.1
> i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc ....bla...bla
>  ^
>  +- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> gcc-config error:
>   could not run/locate "i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc"
>
> My architecture is i686 and it seems that 27 packages before
> python-fchksum found the i686(that's SIX-eight-six)-pc-linux-gnu-gcc.

Hm, when editing /etc/make.conf, did you change the CHOST setting? That
could cause such behaviour... I think that may be amongst the reasons
why /etc/make.conf.example reads like:

---snip---
# Host Setting
# ============
#
# DO NOT CHANGE THIS SETTING UNLESS YOU ARE USING STAGE1!
---snip---

...I guess you aren't using a stage1?

As a side note: When building a minimal system, using
USE=-*
in /etc/make.conf should be considered. You can then fine tune each and
every package in /etc/portage/package.use. That's quite like my setup,
my global USE is set to "-* nptl ssl nls pam". All the other stuff is
set per package. I have one build host machine that distributes the
binary packages and portage tree snapshots to my other computers.

-hwh