On Sat, 17 May 2014 14:44:04 +0100, Stroller wrote:

> > a) Unlike other commands, pv will give you a progress bar so that you
> > know how long your back up is taking.
>
> I've been using ddrescue recently - by default it seems to be faster
> than plain old regular dd.
>
> I assume it must be possible to adjust the parameters (blocksize?) to
> speed dd up, but I just want to run the command and not have to bother
> tinkering.

Use the bs option. The default is 512, which is incredibly slow, bs=4k
makes a substantial difference. However, I usually use dcfldd these days,
whch works out the best block size to use and adds progress reporting.

--
Neil Bothwick

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes!