On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 6:13 AM, Joost Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
> "app-backup/dar" uses catalogues for the incrementals. I think I will stick to
> that for the foreseeable future.

I used to use that and sarab (which is a wrapper).  I moved on to
duplicity.  The problem with dar is that it uses quite a bit of RAM as
the number of files being backed up grows I think.  So, if you have
6TB full of multimedia it might not be a huge problem, but if you have
6TB full of portage trees good luck with that.

The other problem with dar is that if a file changes it stores a
complete copy of it.  Duplicity uses librsync, so if a file changes it
only stores the parts that actually changed.  It also uses catalogs,
and supports things like caching catalogs (so you don't need the last
incremental mounted), and a bunch of storage backends (like S3).

However, dar definitely is more useful than tar if you want the option
for random access.

Rich