My kernel was booted with this setting: hdc=ide-scsi, I read to do set that in the kernel help under make menuconfig. I also want to be able to burn UDF/data DVDs with this thing too, but music first. I've looked at the HowTos on the Gentoo WIKI but those haven't helped, and I'm trying everything as root so I don't think permissions are involved.

I've tried to re-emerge cdrtools and cdrdao without success.

Any ideas where to go next?

Sure, remove the hdc=ide-scsi option, reboot, then use the device path directly for IDE burning.

In your case it's probably something like:

 dev=/dev/hdc

I do all of my burning using IDE directly, even though Schily's tools whine about it.