On 04/06/14 22:27, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> On 04/06/14 21:44, Peter Humphrey wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> The current debate over upower and upower-pm-utils has got me thinking (yes,
>> know): is it possible to install Gentoo on a desktop or a mini-server
>> without
>> any PM at all?
> Of course. It's USE="-upower" to make.conf and couple of
> /etc/portage/package.use
> entries, like for example 'xfce-base/xfce4-session -udev', as in, some
> packages
> use the generic USE flag 'udev' for pulling upower (which is,
> essentially, a udev helper)
>
> You may have to avoid some "meta" packages, like gnome-base/gnome, which
> are too
> greedy with their dependencies
>
> - Samuli

This hint is meant for the too greedy "meta" packages:

You can also create /etc/portage/profile/package.provided file with a
entry like:

sys-power/upower-0.9.23

Notice that the syntax of package.provided is different from other
package.foo files,
and it doesn't have the = in front, so it's really
'$category/$package-$version'

That will tell Portage you have UPower installed, where as you really don't

- Samuli