On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 11:54:52AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 12:06:18 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> > If you encrypt your home directory then you unlock it when you log in so
> > logging out of your DE safely locks things again.

I encrypt my home partition with LUKS and enter a passphrase
during boot. But I always wanted to get decryption upon login running,
especially because it would require me to enter one less password. But
haven’t gotten around to that yet.

> > You most likely want the second option, the odds that you have a valid
> > need to protect /usr and /opt are not good. As a regular user out there,
> > the stuff you want to protect is in /home (or you could easily move it
> > to /home).
>
> With one notable exception. There is sometimes sensitive information
> in /etc, like wireless passwords.

For that reason I put this stuff into /home/etc/$hostname/ (I back up my
machines’ /etc on all other machines, also to have a reference if I need
to know “How did I do this on $other_host?”). And then I symlink to
that from the real location, i.e.:

$ ls -ld /etc/wpa_supplicant
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 28. Mär 21:02 /etc/wpa_supplicant ->
/home/etc/hostname/wpa_supplicant/

Cryptsetup comes early enough in the boot process for this to work (both
with OpenRC and systemd).
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

I just took an IQ test. The results were negative.