On 06/11/2014 03:40 PM, thegeezer wrote:
> 50 seconds is very small timeout, be wary of spinup/spindown cycles
> which imho are worse than always spinning.
For sure, I know, this was only for testing purposes, to see if it
works. I don't want to wait ten minutes, or even an hour to see that it
actually does not work :-)

> depending on what is accessing /dev/sdb you might find that it sleeps
> then immediately is woken.  lsof is your friend here.
> this is how I do it (my time is ten mins)
Nope, the filesystem isn't even mounted.

> # /etc/conf.d/hdparm
> # or, you can set hdparm options for all drives
> all_args="-S120"
>

> then..
> # /etc/init.d/hdparm start
And nope, it does not spin down.

It only spins down if I force it with hdparm -y

Cheers,
  Ralf