On 25/06/2014 20:41, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 25.06.2014 20:30, schrieb James:
>> Stefan G. Weichinger <lists <at> xunil.at> writes:
>>

>>> When I ssh into a server in my basement, this takes way more time than
>>> usual.
>>> Does anyone have an idea what I could do to fix that?
>>

>> ssh has an ordered array of negotiations between systems that are related
>> to the version numbers of ssh and the other configurations. There is
>> usually a mismatch, when it takes "too long" to start a session,
>> in my experience.
>>
>> I did not look at the specifics you posted.
>
> both servers/machines run net-misc/openssh-6.6.1_p1 ... re-compiled
> right today.

I've also noticed slowdowns recently, I think it's the new ciphers likes
ecdsa. Try this:

Connect using ssh -vvv and examine the output to find which of the
various ciphers and algorithms are used once connection is achieved. On
the client, add those configuration options for the server to
ssh_config. You should notice a speed up on the next attempt as unused
methods will be skipped

man 5 ssh_config

has all the details

--