On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Kai Krakow <hurikha...@gmail.com> wrote:
[ ... ]
> I cannot follow your reasoning here - but I'd like to learn. Actually, I ran
> this multiple times and never saw long sets of the same character, even no
> short sets of the same character. The 0 or 1 is always rolled over into the
> next random addition.

That doesn't matter. Take a non-negative integer N; if you flip a coin
an infinite number of times, then the probability of the coin landing
on the same face N times in a row is 1. This means that it is
*guaranteed* to happen, and it *will* happen for any N you want:
1,000,000, a thousand billions, a gazillion. That is a mathematical
fact.

This of course is a consequence of "infinite" being really really
large, but it means that technically you cannot rule a RNG as broken
only because you saw that it produced the same result N times, which
is the crux of the Dilbert joke.

In practice, of course, it's a big sign that something is wrong. But
there is a non-zero probability that it's actually correct.

Because with randomness, you can never be sure.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias