On 10/07/2014 21:42, Dale wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> On 10/07/2014 20:11, List Reader wrote:
>>> Okay, I see. Thank you so much. Soo so much. I thought I was going round
>>> the twist, or hopelesly ignorant. I couln't understand why emerge didn't
>>> offer me
>>> --autounmask-write, so I could dispatch-conf and move on. I was having
>>> similar problems with media-gfx/freecad and some others, but eselecting the
>>> apropriate target/slot thing made it go. Okay, that's it for today. My
>>> eys hurt. I'll do it in the morning. you guys are great. I'm going to bed.
>>
>> Stick with it, it gets easier. Portage *does* have it's special way of
>> looking at the world, but after a while it starts to make some kind of
>> sense. It just doesn't happen quickly, you have to persist with the damn
>> thing :-)
>>

> After a little over 10 years, I'm still trying to get portage.  Just
> when I start to make sense of something, they change the thing.  I
> wonder if they do it just to pick on me.  "Let's make the error spit out
> backwards just to screw with Dale."   Yep.  I bet that's it.  ROFL

You're /almost/ right

Actually, some clever dev wrote a script that polls this list, and every
23 times Dale uses the word "thingie" it makes a semi-random change to
the portage code. Each init-thingie counts as three regular thingies.

The changes are semi-random not fully properly random because the
changes are crafted to mess with Dale's head.

So now you know. It's not you and it isn't your fault :-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com