Hi All,

Just in case anybody ever stumbles into the same issues.

I had huge performance issues with my work notebook Lenovo T430s running
Windows 8 and an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 wireless network adapter,
connected to my Gentoo machine that has a TP Link TL-WN781ND network
adapter.

With performance issues I mean: the task manager showed only 802.11g
instead of n - and even this was not working fine as I had connection
drops, low reaction when connected via SSH to the machine, etc.
When using, for example, www.speedtest.net the test could not start due to
a failing ping and iperf showed about 100Kbit/s...

My setup is:
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network
Adapter (rev 01) with hostapd
Sheldor thomas # cat /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
interface=wlp2s0
driver=nl80211
ssid=******
bridge=br0
hw_mode=g
ieee80211n=1
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
wpa=2
wpa_passphrase=***********
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP
country_code=AT
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
channel=6
ht_capab=[HT40-][SHORT-GI-40][RX-STBC1][DSSS_CCK-40][SHORT-GI-20]
wmm_enabled=1

Two iPhones with iOS 7.1.1 and an iPad running iOS 6.1.3 did not have any
issues, the connection was really fast, although I could not verify if
802.11n is used - there is only an expensive iperf app (given that for PCs
it's free to download...) and I could not find a way to display the
connection type... speedtest.net showed 25MBit which is the maximum my
provider would provide for what I pay :)

I was trying to resolve the issue by trying out various ht_capab settings,
wmm_enabled, wmi_enabled etc... nothing helped.

What did help in the end is... updating the Windows driver through the
device manager! Windows now displays 802.11n and iperf gives me 37.3
Mbits/sec, which is probably acceptable given the fact that I live in a
quite densely populated area and the PCI adapter in the server has only
2.4Ghz support.

So, if anyone experiences similar issues with Intel Centrino Advanced-N
6205 on Windows 8, try to update the driver first.

Thomas