Dan Oriani <dan <at> redchops.com> writes:

> Though I still wonder where he got this program from. It doesn't
> appear to be in any packages at all, doesn't even seem to be a part of
> any linux basesystems.

If you google a bit, fstat appears in many "embedded" offerings. [2] [3]
Embedded
systems usually always have some codes that are not part of the
standard installation. In fact in many embedded systems, there
is no standard.

sys-devel/crossdev  may be the source?  ulibc?

# equery belongs dtrace  <yeilds>
dev-util/systemtap-2.4 (/usr/bin/dtrace)

as an example  <fstat not installed here >

Also, Dale recently posted this link, in another
thread, which *may* help you find the source of the executable:

[1] http://www.portagefilelist.de/site/query

[2] http://sourceware.org/ml/newlib/2011/msg00291.html

[3] http://lists.uclibc.org/pipermail/uclibc/2005-June/032695.html

[4] https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=207019