So I got a new Lenovo G50.
I found all the required drivers in kernel itself. Seems to be quite Linux
friendly so far (not installed desktop yet).

There's one problem though. The kernel module ideapad-laptop which
apparently recognizes the hotkey stuff, backlight and some other things
doesn't let me use wireless. rfkill shows it's hard blocked. Is there any
way to change this?

Some Google results tell me that this is related to the WiFi toggle via
windows. The machine never contained windows ( I bought it with freedos).

I'm not comfortable with opening it to remove CMOS battery as suggested by
yet another Google search result.