> Hello everybody.
> I have a little bandwidth problem. I don't want to update my packages
> very frequently.
> Is it save to sync my portage not very often, say every month or two,
> so when I install something I wont be warned that some of my packages
> are outdated?
If you plan to update monthly you might want to use emerge-webrsync,
and download portage snapshots as a tarball, it isn't that large
~70MiB, and if you get the chance of acces a better connection, you
can download it from the web[1] and just unpack it to your
${PORTDIR}, this is one of the good things about portage, and source
based compared to binary distros, you download a snapshot, upgrade
your packages, and you can keep installing packages from the ebuilds
in that snapshot without trouble for some time(if sources are
available), I  know someone, a bit insane in my opinion, that was
still using a 2009 snapshot of portage as of the last year(not without
troubles), and he might still.