On 4 August 2014 15:35:41 CEST, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

>command
>>>
>>> A general-purpose scheduler can work, as they do exist.
>>
>> I doubt that they can solve your problem.
>> Let me repeat: You have a single program which accesses the database
>> in a complex way and somewhere in the course of accessing it, the
>> machine (or program) crashes.
>> No general-purpose program can recover from this: You need
>> particular knowledge of the database and the program if you even
>> want to have a *chance* to recover from such a situation.
>> A program with such a particular knowledge can hardly be called
>> "general-purpose".
>

>Joost,
>
>Either make the ETL tool pick up where it stopped and continue as it is
>the only that knows what it was doing and how far it got. Or, wrap the
>entire script in a single transaction.

Alan,

That would be the ideal solution.
However, a single transaction dealing with around 500,000,000 rows will get me
shot by the DBAs :)
(Never mind that the performance of this will be such that having it all done
by an office full of secretaries might be quicker.)

Having the ETL process clever enough to be able to pick up from any point
requires a degree of forward thinking and planning that is never done in real
life.
I would love to design it like that as it isn't too difficult. But I always get
brought into these projects when implementing these structures will require a
full rewrite and getting the original architects to admit their design can't be
made restartable without human intervention.

At which point the business simply says it is acceptable to have people do a
manual rollback and restart the schedules from wherever it went wrong.

I'm sure your wife has similar experiences as this is why these projects are
always late to deliver and over budget.

--
Joost