On 2014-08-16, behrouz khosravi <bz.khosr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So can you please tell me why you have chosen a specific DE and not
> the other options ?

I've been running XFCE for a long time.

Before that, I didn't have a "Desktop Environment" at all, just the
fvwm window manager which I started using back before Linux kernel
version 1.00 came out [before Linux and fvwm were around, I mostly
used the "twm" window manager].  At some point many years ago, there
was some problem with fvwm that I couldn't work-around (I don't even
remember what it was). I tried Gnome and KDE, but they were just _way_
too big and slow, and they both seemed to think that the desktop was
the be-all-and-end-all of computation and should always being the
center of your attention and the user-up of all resources.

I run a computer in order to run various apps.  The desktop is just
there to manage windows and facilitate running those apps.  It should
otherwise stay out of the way, out of sight, and out of memory.

XFCE does a pretty good job of that.  XFCE isn't too big.  XFCE
doesn't think it should always be the star of the show and the center
of everybody's attention.  XFCE is stable: it doesn't get completely
re-designed, re-skinned, and broken every few years because people
finally figured how to actually use the old version and some new batch
of developers are bored and want to spray their scent all over
everything

Here's what my XFCE desktop looks like:

   http://www.panix.com/~grante/desktop.png

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Were these parsnips
                                  at               CORRECTLY MARINATED in