On 18/08/2014 19:06, Timur Aydin wrote:
Hi,

I am using a closed source software package on my 64 bit gentoo linux
system. The software package is "beyond compare" by scooter soft.
Because of the way this package is built, it needs a specially patched
version of glibc. I have patched my existing glibc version (2.18) and
have been avoiding updating my glibc since. Now I am wondering whether
the latest update of bcompare will work with the latest glibc (2.19).

So, if I upgrade to 2.19 and the package doesn't work, how can I go back
to the working, patched 2.18? I know that portage issues the most scary
warnings when you try to downgrade glibc. So what does the community
recommend?

You should be able to downgrade glibc, provided that you haven't built and installed any new packages following the transition from glibc-2.18 to glibc-2.19. That said, I would suggest that you back up the root filesystem as a contingency measure.

Still, why not test bcompare in a chroot? The latest stage3 tarball probably includes glibc-2.19 by now.

--Kerin