Hello list,

For several years I've been running with / on /dev/md5 (0.99 metadata), which
is built on /dev/sd[ab]5. At each boot I see a message scroll by saying
something like "No devices found in config file or automatically" and then lvm
continues to assemble md5 anyway and mount its file system. The rest of my
partitions are on /dev/md7 (1.0 metadata), which is built on /dev/sd[ab]7. Oh,
except for /boot, which is on /dev/sda1 with a copy on /dev/sdb1.

So I decided to clean up /etc/mdadm.conf by adding these lines:

DEVICE /dev/sda* /dev/sdb*
ARRAY /dev/md5 devices=/dev/sda5,/dev/sdb5
ARRAY /dev/md7 devices=/dev/sda7,/dev/sdb7
ARRAY /dev/md9 devices=/dev/sda9,/dev/sdb9

Now at boot time the no-devices error doesn't appear, but I get a blank line
with a red asterisk.

What am I doing wrong?

This is stimulated by this week's upgrade of lvm2, for which I need to make
some configuration changes, and I thought I ought to fix one thing at a time.

--
Regards
Peter