On 17/09/2014 11:34, J. Roeleveld wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:19:37 PM Eray Aslan wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 10:43:18PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>>> Puppet seems to me a good product for a large site with 1000 hosts.
>>> Not so much for ~20 or so.
>>
>> I find that for a few machines, puppet is overkill.  For a lot of
>> machines, puppet can become unmanageable - with puppet master and
>> security being the culprit.
>>
>> We have used puppet a lot but recently settled on salt (strictly
>> speaking not my decision so cannot really compare it with ansible) and
>> we are happy with the outcome.  You might want to consider
>> app-admin/salt as well.
>
> Looks good (had a really quick look).
>>From what I read (and please correct me if I'm wrong), a difference between
> salt and ansible is:
>
> Salt Requires a daemon to be installed and running on all machines
> and the versions need to be (mostly) in sync
>
> For Alan, this might work, but for my situation it wouldn't, as I'd need to
> keep various VMs in sync with the rest where I'd prefer to simply clone them
> and then enforce changes. Relying on SSH and powershell makes that simpler.
>
> But, it does mean that all nodes need to have incoming ports open. With Salt,
> all nodes connect back to the master. This allows a tighter security.

I'm not too stressed either way. All my hosts run sshd anyway and the
security is not in whether tcp22 is open or not, it's in what I put in
sshd_config. With the puppet design, the puppet daemon must be running
(or a cronjob) and puppet can self host that along with nrpe, munin and
all the other crap that gets installled so I can do my job :-)

My issue with puppet is not it's network architecture but with it's
convoluted config language that I can't wrap my brains around. Plus the
re-use of similar keywords to mean quite different things meaning I have
to read 5 topics in the manual to get stuff working. Nagios btw has the
same problem hence why I'm switching to Icinga 2 which fixes Nagios's
config language once and for all.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com