Frank Schafer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Somebody on b.g.o. suggests to try building with a vanilly kernel. Did
> someone here make the same experience and if yes, will it run then on a
> gentoo-kernel?

Hi

Not sure if you're talking in general about sig 11 on emerge, some
specific problem with Xorg.

Anyhow, I had this with various packages and found a few things helped:

- Once I had a sig 11 a restart of the emerge would seg fault very
soon.  I suspected dodgy CPU or memory, so played with the cpuburn
package.  Curiously I found that running MMXburn (I think it was called)
for a minute or so vastly extended how far into a build emerge would
get.  I have no idea what this program actually does, but I assumed it
was heavily loading some memory or other so that when gcc started again
it was given a different chumk to what it was getting previously.  But
that's all very hypothetical...

- I used the FEATURES="keepwork" emerge... so that the work area was
preserved and the emerge could continue from where it was.  But this
takes up a lot of disk space uless you manually delete them or use
ebuild --clean once it's suceeded.

- Install ccache to 'dynamically' cache/preserve the guts of whatever
you're trying to build so that you don't need "keepwork".  It's a bit
slower, but easier to manage.

- Do an emerge in a one line script something like this, so it'll loop
around until it succeeds (best used with the FEATURES or ccache idea):

while true; do emerge foo && break; done

HTH
IanC