Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7 <at> gmx.de> writes:

> > cups + hplip is pretty robust.

> Mostly because I want a minimal system. I have cups already which KDE can
> use, I don’t need (or want) another tool that does the same job and that
> has a lot of GUI stuff that my printer doesn’t support anyway (scanners  >
and such).

hey, I run LXDE, and as folks know, I am a minimalist, despite have
several machines with 8 core, 32 gigs of ram.....

So you have compiled these before, with a minimum of flags activated?
The know the number of flags, the smaller the binaries..... (as you know).

> Furthermore, it installs a tool which I don’t need and pollutes my tray
> and which has no off-switch. Tries to deactivate it in the past had not
> succeeded (as I said, non-technical reasons).

Ah, kde frustration? Been there, left that constant_change environment.
Personally, I would not use kde as part of my printing solution. Cups +
hplip work fine without kde involvement.

> Also, with every update it wants to download the proprietary plugin anew
> (which I had trouble with in the past b/c I did offline updates) or else
> no  printo worko.

OK, so mask the offending codes?

> Lastly, this plugin installation doesn’t work if system python was not
> version 2, so every time I had to eselect python 2, install hplip, and
> switch back again.

Weird. I have python 3.3 set and it is fine? Ok, set hplip to use the latest
(stable) version of python 2.x only.

> You may certainly call me backward minded, but it worked in the past[TM]
> without hplip, and I would like that again.

Frank, I would not call you this. I enjoy running minimal systems too.
Did you have a ppd file setup via cups? (/etc/cups/ppd) YOu mave have a copy
of the old ppd config file in the cups/ppd dir?

There are a myriad of ways to set up printing. It is your choice. If you
go with somethhing nobody knows about, your most likely will be 'alone', imho.

What is your computer-printer interface? (usb/eth/par/ser/rf)?

Do have sys-apps/hwids installed?

With hplip, I only set these flags: X hpcups libnotify, but my printer is
ethernet.

On a side note, you may want to try lxqt-0.8.0 in a few weeks, when it
is released.....

James