I'm starting a new thread so as to not hijack the one about alternative
kernels, but continue with something Volker raised.

On Sunday 26 Oct 2014 23:25:50 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> as others have written already: ssd.
>
> With a caveat: if an ssd dies, it will die suddenly. Without a warning.
> Usually 5 minutes before the start of your weekly or monthly backup run.
> And that is first hand experience.

I haven't yet started using SSD and have wondered what sort of a system should
I set up to guard against such instantaneous catastrophic failures.  I am
interested to hear what strategies people deploy to avoid data loss with SSDs,
especially on laptops that don't have the luxury of raid redundancy.

With spinning drives I use tar and rsync at regular intervals.  There have
been a few rare cases where a drive failed without prior notice - the last one
after a reboot.  In such cases I am prepared to live with the risk of some
data loss, on machines where raid is not an option.

--
Regards,
Mick