J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> [14-11-19 17:00]:
> On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 09:00:37 PM thegeezer wrote:
> > On 18/11/14 18:27, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> > > How can I configure Gentoo on the Arietta board
> > > to use ethernet-over-usb  to be started while
> > > booting the Arietta board?
> > >
> > > By "replace everything eth0 with usb0" ??? ;)
> >
> > if you still have emdebian image you can boot that and see which modules
> > are loaded - that would be a start. a nice dodge is
> > # find /sys | grep drivers
> > you can also check everything in "make menuconfig"  under the section
> > device drivers\network device support\usb network adaptors
> > that everything you _might_ need is selected
> > there is a chance that the gentoo image has what you need --- what does
> > "lsusb" show you ? what about "ifconfig -a"
> > usb ethernet devices have very odd names ... names such as enp0s29u1u2
> > so it would be "replace everything eth0 with enp0s29u1u2"
>
> Meino,
>
> You might also want to check if there is any firmware that is not being
> found/loaded.
> For me, that is usually the case when something isn't working.
>
> --
> Joost

Hi thegeezer, Hi Joost,

it was that simple, that I *had* to overlooked it: The modules
for ethernet over usb had to be loaded before using that interface...
WUMMER!
Sometimes..... :)

I added the following modules:
  usb_f_rndis
  u_ether
  usb_f_ecm
  usb_f_ecm_subset
  usb_f_eem
  g_ether
  at91_udc
  atmel_usba_udc
  libcomposite

and I am not sure, whether some of them are not necassary for that
purpose...but with this in /etc/conf.d/modules it works.

Current status is:
* Board boots with Robert Nelsons linux kernel for ARM and a device
  tree blob by acmesystems and a stage3 rootfs (armv5tel) by the one
  and only Gentoo.
* The board is accessible via ssh
* I am currently downloading (emerge -f) some applications I need,
  compiling on this board is an exercise in patience... 8). After
  the download the board can compile the stuff without using my PC
  as router to the internet. So it does not harm to power the board
  with 100mA over several days...

Best regards,
Meino