On 2014-11-26, Gevisz <gev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 22:02:49 +0000 (UTC) Grant Edwards
> <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Try Lubuntu, with LXDE.
>>
>> Or Xubuntu with XFCE.
>>
>> I prefer Gentoo over Ubuntu for a host of other reasons, but switching
>> from Ubuntu to Gentoo just to get a different desktop seems like
>> overkill.
>
> Strange enough but according to the information from the
> DistroWatch.com Ubuntu lost a lot of users and its status of the most
> popular Linux distribution after switching from Gnome2 to Unity in
> its 12.04 LTS release.
>
> And its not about a small change in an interface, it is about
> we-know-better-what-you-need approach that drove quite a lot of
> companies to bankrupcy.

That's one of the big reasons I do prefer Gentoo.  Ubuntu is great as
long as you want to do everything the "Ubuntu Way".  The minute you
want to do something slightly different, it turns into a long hard
swim upstream.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I love ROCK 'N ROLL!
                                  at               I memorized the all WORDS