On 18/12/2014 04:45, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Is there any advantage one way or the other emerging firefox.bin vs firefox?

Depends on your needs:

firefox:
- pro: you get all the USE flags
- pro: you don't get bundled libs from Mozilla, the ebuild can use
system libs
- pro: the compiled binaries are integrated into gentoo like other ebuilds
- con: slow compiles. I have 8 i7 cores and 16G. the merge takes 20-35
minutes...

firefox-bin:
- pro: fast install. It's a binary package
- con: you get all of Mozilla's bundled libs
- con: No USE, no choices. If Mozilla eg decides to ship with
pulseaudio, then that is what you must have on your end
- con: poor integration with the rest of your system. Files go where
Mozilla says they go, the devs can only do so much to make stuff standard.

As I see it, go with firefox unless you can't spend the cpu cycles to
build it locally. That's true of almost all -bin packages

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com